Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Start A New Life

My life has been no different from others coming from a middle class background. Being an educated person we are well aware of the shortcomings in our socio-political system. We love to read the newspaper over a cup of tea in the morning and scoff at the unscrupulous bureaucrats  and politicians who are ruining our Country. We would pass expert comments on what should or should not be done for improving our Society. However , we dread to take any initiative to change the system fearing for our lives and our dear ones. So we continue to remain in our comfort zones and let the vested interests of our Society rule the roost. Years and decades pass by as we continue to wait for the Messiah who would liberate us and transform our System.
However , our conscience does not let us rest in peace. “What can I alone do to transform the system and fight against the formidable system? or where do I have the time ?” Is our excuse to our conscience. We never garner courage enough to become the change agent for improving the Society. So this is the unfortunate story of most middle class persons like me . The result is that in due course either we become indifferent and continue to go about our own ways turning a blind eye to the nefarious activities by the vested interests  or we pack our bags and baggage and settle down in some or the other advanced countries of the world from where we continue to scoff at the Indian socio-political system.
I would have continued in my state of inertia had it not been for that fateful day which transformed my perception towards myself. I came across my old school teacher Shri Dev Dutt who had been an inspiration for us in our younger days . Dev Duttji was now in his late Seventies. When I met him he could not recognize me . However ,when I helped him remember the year when we were his students he could recall. Dev Duttji was an ardent Gandhian. He had played an active role in the Freedom Movement and gone to jail number of times for his active role against the British Government. He used to tell us Gandhism is a way of life. Either you follow it entirely or you don’t. When he asked me about my activities all these years I felt embarrassed to tell him as I had nothing to be proud off when I looked back. That night I could not sleep. I kept on thinking that if every great leader wouldn’t have thought and worked beyond themselves and their families the world would never have been a better place.
The elections to the local municipal council were before us . As usual every contestant would make tall promises before the elections which would never get executed when they came to power. I resolved to change the situation this time . Any initiative taken alone would have been futile as the candidates and their cronies wouldn’t have allowed any move which could jeopardise their chances of winning the elections. So I went from door to door and could convince atleast one hundred families to cast their votes consciously after they are sanguine that their candidate has a plan of action for fulfilling the promises he or she makes in their manifesto. We decided discretely that henceforth whenever any candidate would hold an election rally we would as a group ask them to indicate in clear terms how they proposed to fulfil their election manifesto . The grilling strategy worked. There were threatening gestures from the cronies but when they saw such mass action they could not do much to silence us. We could easily make out whether a candidate had any clear and concrete plan of action for fulfilling the election manifesto.   This move saved us from voting for the wrong candidate. Our strategy soon spread by word of mouth and through social media to others. The result was we could get in place  Councillors who were sincere and could deliver. 

Finally I had taken a bold initiative which helped to improve our system and I could sleep in peace.
Always #StartANewLife if required!

This post is a part of housing.com/in

No comments:

Post a Comment