Saturday, March 21, 2015

Simple Things That Bring Happiness

It is said that happiness is a state of mind . In the rat race for one-upmanship where we try to outdo the other in search of happiness we miss the wood for the trees. We overlook the small things in life that can bring happiness instead of chasing a mirage. In our repentance on what we could have done in the past  for a better present or our apprehension about the future we lose the pleasant moments that we could have enjoyed in our present. A person who is content with what he has is a saint , for lesser mortals like us we keep on striving for things we believe would give us happiness. Once we achieve what we want we find that happiness in what we have acquired is temporary. After some time a new struggle begins in pursuit of happiness.
                For most of us happiness is a relative term. Many a times it depends  upon how much better off we are compared to those around us. Do we have a bigger car compared to our neighbour? Is my house bigger than his? Do I go  more frequently on foreign trips than my colleagues or neighbour? When we discover that it is otherwise it makes us frustrated and unhappy.
In my search for happiness once I was fortunate to listen to the discourse of a learned sear. He told us that happiness is always there around us. Only we fail to recognise it.  He advised us to take a holiday from what we are always doing and try to discover happiness in small things in life. It would change our perception of happiness. The sear’s words got me thinking. I decided to follow his advice for sometime.
I have been a workaholic by nature . Often I would bring  my work home . The result was that I could hardly spend time with my family. I decided to  change this practice. Next day I came home on time. My family was surprised as well as concerned to see me back from work early. Was I feeling alright ? was the obvious question. I said that I was perfectly in good health and for a change had decided to spend time with my family which I had been missing. The smiles on their faces was more precious than any wealth. The happiness in spending time with my family was unforgettable and I made it a practice whenever I could to come back early from work .
I have been by habit a late riser as I would work till late in the night. I decided to change this habit as well. I decided to arise early. Next morning I got up early , put on my sports shoes which had been gathering dust  and went for a walk to a  park not far away. The Sun was just rising and the sky had turned pink in its glow.The environment was serene, the air cool and fresh. The chirping of the birds was more melodious than any composition. The moments spent in the park was blissful. I realised what I had been  missing all these years in my pursuit of happiness. I decided to rise early everyday to enjoy the beauty  which nature has endowed upon us.
Our weekends would always be taken up in attending to routine household chores or going for routine shopping. For a change we decided to do something different. We decided to go for a picnic. There was a beautiful picnic spot a few hours drive away from our place . Next day was a  Sunday. All of us got up early.  We packed our basket with goodies , collected what ever was required for a picnic and left. Driving everyday to office had been a harrowing experience in peak hour traffic and getting stuck in traffic jams. But the experience of driving on the highway outside the city limits  was a different experience altogether. The green wheat fields on either side of the road was a rare sight for city dwellers like us. The picnic spot was as beautiful as expected . The blue water of the lake , the ducks gliding gracefully in it , the sight of so many colourful birds we don’t get to see otherwise was a heavenly experience.
On our way back we had to stop at a traffic light. One young girl in tattered clothes came begging for alms. Normally we would look down upon such persons. For a change we decided to do something different. My daughter took off her jacket and gave it to her. The smile it brought to her face made us realise that helping others also gives happiness.

I thanked the great sear who had put me on the right path for happiness in life and taught me to look for happiness in small things in life.
This post is a part of http://cokeurl.com/96jnc

No comments:

Post a Comment