Saturday, March 14, 2015

Rediscovering Ourselves

We  got married to each other on the first day of the new millennium . We  had met for the first time at a common friend’s marriage. It was one of those moments of love at first sight. The marriage ceremony provided an opportunity to be near each other. One thing led to another and soon we were chatting with each other as if we had known each other for ages. The moment came when we had to depart and go our respective ways but not before exchanging our contact numbers.
At that time we did not realise our feelings for one another. But after going home I could not forget her bubbling  personality . Later on she confessed that she was experiencing similar feelings ftowards me. She like me was also working for a large multinational company . While daytime kept us preoccupied with our professional llves  we would make it a point to meet each other regularly after office hours. We had been romancing  each other for almost eight months now. It was now time to take our relationship to the next level. One evening over a cup of coffee at our favourite hangout I proposed to her and she happily accepted. Our families had no objection to our alliance. We decided to get married on the first day of the new millennium on a cold January night. The warmth of our relationship made  it feel like spring time.
The first few years of marriage were like bliss. We could not wait to be with one another. We would eagerly wait for the weekends for going on long drives early in the morning , have meals at a way side dhaba and spend evenings in each other’s arms watching  our favourite movies.
Well as the saying goes every good thing comes to an end  one day. Our professional lives started taking their toll on our marriage and the spark in our relationship started fading  after a few years of marriage  Our career took predominance over our relationship. There was no longer any hurry to rush back home after work. Weekends would be taken up in attending to household chores. Life would have continued without any colour for the rest of our days had it not been for the fateful day which changed our orientation towards each other.
On that fateful day we had gone for work as usual. In the midst of a meeting at about 12 noon I saw her name flashing on my mobile. We had stopped disturbing each other at our work places  unless there was an emergency . I excused myself and came out of the meeting for attending the call. What came next made my heart sank. Her building was on fire and she was stuck with no means for escape. Her office was on the tenth floor  with two stair cases on each end . The fire had spread to such an extent that the staircases could no longer be used. When I  heard the news I just rushed towards her office building without a thought. On reaching the spot  the smoke billowing from the top floors  made me feel faint. Suddenly I realised what she meant to me . I tried to rush into the building but was prevented by the authorities. I sat down on the ground holding my head in my hands. My life was meaning less without her. I frantically was trying to contact her but she would not answer putting me to further despair.
The Fire Department had put a ladder form the other side of the building of which I was not aware. I had given up all hopes of her survival. I kept on sitting on the ground oblivious to the surroundings tears blinding my eyes. Suddenly there was  a familiar hand on my shoulder. It was her. She had survived. It was a miracle coming true. I could not control my emotions. I hugged her tightly and we cried like children.
We had finally found the lost spark in our relationship.We had that fateful day realised what we meant for one another . In all such relations life turns black and white and a couple starts taking the relationship for granted. We also would have continued in the same fashion had it not been for that life turning incidence.  We had rediscovered ourselves.
We #together have rediscovered ourselves 

 This post is a part of https://housing.com/in

No comments:

Post a Comment